Saturday 29 June 2013

Toastmasters Speech Project # 5 (Your Body Speakes)

WHO IS RUNNING THE SHOW ?
Do you think you know yourself very well ?.........I also thought so, until I realized ‘I better know me better’…..Having lived in this body for all these years, I still discover new things about myself, which I didn’t know earlier….hold your breath, I’m about to reveal my latest discovery……. Mister Suranga Fernando is right handed, but Toastmaster Suranga Fernando is left handed !!!

Fellow Toastmasters & distinguished guests,

My Right hand is the king…having said that, even a king is very obedient when faced with his wife…..My right hand is so dominant when I write, type, eat & so on, except of course, for when I speak. Whenever I speak, the queen takes over control, or in other words, unintentionally almost all of my gestures are shown by my left hand, while the king calmly hangs down by my right side.

The desire to overcome this shortcoming prompted me to research about 'body gestures during speech', more with hope than conviction that I'd find some comfort…In the process, I came across some very interesting gestures that we seldom see on this stage. I’ll share a few with you today, so to increase your repertoire.

The 1st technique is to be a ‘mover’. A mover is a speaker who makes various different exaggerated, animated or funny body movements during his speech. This technique not only grabs a lot of attention but you’ll also get captured in some very interesting positions in photographs. But, the downside of it is that using this technique ‘You walk on thin ice’. An action that is funny & interesting to one person might look stupid to another.     

Another interesting technique is to be a “thrower”. Although ‘Thrower’ is a term more associated with sports, a little known fact is that it is also an effective body gesture. Whenever I talk about throwers the 1st person who comes to my mind is Mr. Sugathadasa. He is one of my teachers in 8th grade and was a fantastically accurate thrower. This is how it works. When Mr. Sugathadasa delivers a lecture, if he notices that someone is not paying attention, he would set the chalk duster in motion. The duster would slowly fly through the class and kiss an unexpecting cheek….. “Puff”……someone gets a chalk make up all over his face and thereafter the rest of the class would not loose eye contact with Mr. Sugathadasa, even for a millisecond for the rest of his lesson….I know what you are thinking now….Toastmasters International would not allow us to throw Dusters at Toastmasters”….besides, “Mr. Sugathadasa never had a speech Evaluator closely monitoring his every move”…..but still, it is a good concept which we could make usable with a small fix. The 2nd thrower I saw did so with great success.

Instead of a duster, he brought small gifts to the lectern. During his speech He asked simple questions from the audience…The first was “who loves Cooking ?” the initial response was slow & discouraging. To the only person who belatedly raised a hand, he said “very good, this is a valuable Cookery book, and now it’s yours” and threw the book to him. Guess what happened there after ? The whole audience was waiting impatiently for his next question, to jump up with the answer, ‘I know, I know’….The mood of the audience changed from boring to lively in no time. Trust me; this is a short cut to become a popular speaker overnight. But let me warn you at the same time; this popularity comes with significant damage to your wallet & bank account.

The 3rd & last technique doesn’t cost you anything. It is to be an “involver” As the word would imply the whole idea is to get involved with your audience. During the speech the speaker would walk among the audience, talking to them, joking with them, and blending with them. He would even invite a volunteer on stage and do a role-play to add another dimension to the speech. But here again you have to be very cautious on time management & to remain topic oriented.       

Toastmasters, body gestures significantly enhance the effectiveness of your speech. A speech without body gestures would look like a ‘talking dead body’. But having said that, the gestures must also be natural expressions, or at least you need to practice them well so that you pretend the gestures flow naturally. ‘Just like how I did throughout this speech!  :D  

Before I conclude, let me do a confession…the reason why I love these 3 gestures in particular. It is because they all have one aspect in common. Being a mover, thrower or an involver requires major body movements, and that deceives your audience to the extent that they fail to notice something very obvious….The obvious fact that “it’s not the king but rather the queen who is still running the show !      


No comments:

Post a Comment