Thursday 27 June 2013

Toastmasters Speech Project # 2 (Organize your speech)

FROM VAMPIRES, WITH LOVE !

What do you know about Vampires ?.........The common belief is that they are blood sucking demons who take our loved ones away from us. Well.….not to me ! In fact, they brought love back in to my life !!
   
Fellow Toastmasters and distinguished guests, Good evening !

A woman’s love goes through various different phases during her lifetime. I’ll take my wife for example. I married after a 7 year love affair, and during that time we met each other all 7 days of the week. She wanted all my love, care, attention & time. HER WHOLE WORLD WAS ME !

Then, we got married and the love & care intensified. She’d wake up early in the morning to cook lunch for me. When I return home after work, she would open the door smiling from ear to ear. She’d hug me, cuddle me and have a nice long chat about our day. There were the occasional argument alright, but then again, there is no heartbreak that chocolate can’t fix. HER WHOLE WORLD WAS.....STILL ME !

Then we had our first baby, and her life began to change ! She got busy, primarily with baby’s work & also the house chores. The lunch box I used to carry to office enjoyed more rest time on the kitchen rack. Even when I return home from work, she would give a quick hug and hurry back to the baby.......She was busy babysitting. Now, HER WHOLE WORLD WAS OUR BABY !

Time passed by, and we had a second baby. Her work load just got doubled. Taking care of a new born, a schooling kid and all the house work was no easy task. Her daily day became so routine & boring, making her stressed and exhausted. Her life was no different from that of a programmed robot. Love, romance & happiness were fast getting demoted in her list of life’s priorities. By then, when I get back from work, she would quickly unlock the door & hurry back to her work, 'sometimes without even looking at me'. What did you just ask ? hugs & chats ? They only belonged to the history......This was not the world she craved for….. She is a nature lover and back in Sri Lanka she would spend a few hours every day in the garden with her plants & flowers. But being in Saudi, she felt like being in a prison, and with so much housework to handle, it was a rigorous imprisonment. HER WHOLE WORLD WAS CRASHING !  

By this time, I realized that the root cause of the issue was the absence of a hobby that could release her stress...I thought to myself that “Superman is never coming any more  and I have to wear the cape myself to rescue the love & happiness of our family”.

“Like an ocean that refuses to stop kissing the shore lines, no matter how many times it’s sent away”, I experimented many options to make her happy, though without much success. Walks in the beach, pleasant surprises, small gifts for no reason & regular shopping sprees were all proving to be just wasted efforts. MY WHOLE WORLD WAS GETTING MISERABLE !

It is at this juncture, totally unexpectedly, and without any invitation, Vampires invaded our lives. Through a fellow Toastmaster my wife heard about the ‘Twilight saga’. An extra ordinarily romantic & sensitive book series about the love story of a Vampire. Being authored by a female, Stephanie Myer, it has been written from a feminine perception of love, and described the profound bonds & deep connections love could achieve ! To say my wife was spellbound by the books is a hugh understatement.The love in between the pages slowly but surely started to spill in to her life. It stimulated her thought process. She started to somehow find time to bond with me & kids a lot more. Her lovely smile, those hugs and long chats returned. She is still doing all those exhausting work alright, but now that she is so relaxed, enjoys life even through those work.......once more. Thanks to Vampires, now HER WHOLE WORLD IS FILLED WITH LOVE & HAPPINESS !

I could have concluded my speech with that happy ending. But I’ll not. Let me be frank…deep within, I’m dead scared. No, not of vampires, but because of the fact, that now she is reading the last few pages of the 4th & last book of the series released so far. What will happen when she finish that ? When will the 5th book be released ?

Stephenie Myer, my future happiness is reliant on the speed of your right hand !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment